TENTATIVE ITINERARY for SAN MIGUEL de ALLENDE, Mexico
February 1 – 8, 2018
LOIS GRIFFEL Art Workshop
Non Artists welcome!
San Miguel de Allende is filled with opulent mansions, and unique, handsome churches. It was once an important crossroads for mule trains carrying silver and gold to the capital. They returned with European treasures. It was where the movement of the Revolution of Independence from Spain started as it was the birth place of Ignacio Allende, a hero of Mexican Independence. La Parroquia is the main church in the center of town in El Jardin, built by self taught local architect, Zeferino Gutierrez. It is a confection as you have never seen before. Come explore the Colonial Heartland, see private gardens and exotic plants/flowers, artisan crafts, original art, fabulous cuisine, tradition and cultural history!
• Fly into Leon, Mexico. You will be met by private car or van and transported to San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, about an hour and a half drive. Airport/hotel round trip transportation regardless of flight.
• Casa de la Noche, a charming B & B with full breakfast daily. It also has on the property the Bordello Galleria with original paintings of the area for sale. Yes, if our walls could talk what stories we would hear as this B & B was originally the place for "ladies of the night."
• Casa Contenta, same owner of charming B & B with full breakfast. Rooms are limited so book early. Casa Contenta is for overflow. It is cheaper than Casa de la Noche, but it will include executive car service to where the main group is located so this evens it out.
• Welcome Margarita Party with margaritas, non alcoholic drinks, guacamole, pico de galo, quesadillas, flautas (deep fried corn tortillas with meat, vegetable or cheese filling), sopes (snacks with different toppings on a thick hand made cornmeal base).
All of these wonderful options are open for both painters and non painters. Lois may decide to teach at one or two of them.
• Half day walking Tour of the historic Central including Escuela de Belles Artes which was a former convent, now a school of cultural options, and has an unfinished 1940s mural by David Alfaro Siqueiros.
• Flower Market at the Parque Juarez with live entertainment each evening such as mariachi bands, dancing, guitar players, etc. Plants and flowers indigenous to Mexico.
• For non-artists, Cooking Class demonstration and hands on of typical Mexican cuisine with Kirsten West, who once was the chef for Mick Jagger, has contributed to Rick Bayless’s cook books. This will be an evening class.
• Day Tour of the area; Guanajuato the Capital and birth place of Diego Rivera, Dolores Hidalgo, Valenciana with its gold church and Atotonilco with the indigenous, hand painted mural inside, local hand painted ceramics. Artists, bring your sketch books and your cameras.
• Exclusive Appointment at the studio of William Harris, craftsman of fantastic, original jewelry. The studio is housed in their home which is a virtual museum of local art and folk art. Two houses with a magnificent, exotic garden in between. 100 varieties of local trees.
• And much more!
Fashion Perspective Tours
P.O. Box 444
Rockville, VA 23146 - 0444
Questions? 804 / 501-6605
HOME · ABOUT · HISTORY · WORKSHOPS · PAINTINGS · BOOKS · ARTICLES & ESSAYS · MAILING LIST
Lois Griffel · 520-207-4055 · Email Lois